More than 7,500 medical aide work in the San Diego area, and with several million people newly insured throughout the country, the need for medical aides is rapidly growing. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the profession to expand another 29 percent by 2022, a much faster rate of growth than other occupations. Becoming a medical helper can be a rewarding experience with a little research into credible programs, a basic understanding of the certification process and knowledge of what to expect from the career.
Prospective medical attendant students in San Diego are fortunate to have access to a number of medical attendant programs that are certified by the American Medical Technologists, or AMT, and the California Certifying Board of Medical Assistants, or CCBMA. The local community college’s medical assisting program also benefits from a new Medical Attendant Model Curriculum and recommendations of a Medical Assisting Advisory Committee that is comprised of professionals from private clinic, local health care providers and the San Diego County Medical Society.
Medical Attendant Training Program in San Diego
Most medical aide programs provide entry-level education in one year or less. In selecting a local school, it’s best to look for a program that qualifies graduates to sit for the AMT’s Registered Medical Attendant or the CCBMA’s California Medical Attendant exams.
Salaries for Certified and Registered Medical Attendants in San Diego
In addition to the satisfaction of helping physicians and nurses care for patients, medical aides in San Diego enjoy positive monetary rewards, earning higher salaries than in other parts of the state and nation. Local medical helpers can expect to earn about $16.33 and hour, or $33,970 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2012 report. That compares favorably to the national median salary of $14.12 per hour, or $29,370 per year and California’s mean salary of $33,750.
List of Medical Attendant Programs in San Diego
Several schools in the area offer certified medical aide programs, from well-respected community colleges to private vocational institutions. The local community college, San Diego Mesa College, offers certificates of achievement in medical attending, associate of science degrees in medical attending and transfer credits to four-year universities. Local private schools with medical attending classes include California College San Diego, Concorde Career College, Kaplan University, Career College of San Diego and CET San Diego.
List of Medical Attendant School near San Diego
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Administrative Billing and Coding
- Veterinary Assisting
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree and RN license to be qualified for this school.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration