If you’ve ever been to the doctor and spent more time with an aide than with your doctor, you were probably with a medical helper. Medical helpers assist doctors with clinical procedures and also perform administrative duties in the medical office. Sound interesting? Read on to learn how you can become a medical attendant (MA).
If you’re interested in working as a medical aide in Alabama, it’s important to find an accredited medical attending school. Accreditation is important because accredited schools provide the training necessary to pass a certification exam and accreditation is usually an eligibility requirement for certification. Although the National Center for Education Statistics lists about 14 schools offering medical attending programs, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) reports there are only 4 accredited medical aide schools in Alabama. Training programs include a blended curriculum of medical and administrative classes; lectures and lab studies; and clinical internships.
How to Get Certified in Alabama
Medical deputies are not required to be certified but it’s preferred by most employers. Medical aides must pass a certification exam to become certified as a Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant. The American Association of Medical Assistants and the American Medical Technologists are two of the most common accrediting agencies for medical representatives. The National Center for Competency Testing and the National Healthcareer Association also offers certification to medical aides and various other medical professionals. Continuing education is required to maintain certification.
Salaries for Medical Attendants in Alabama
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical helpmates in Alabama earned a mean annual wage of $24,860 as of May 2012, an amount slightly less than the national average of $30,550. Wages may vary according to locations. Some of the highest earnings for medical helpmates in Alabama were in Birmingham where the MAs earned $26,950, while the lowest MA earnings of $19,260 were in the Florence/Muscle Shoals area. Other factors that may affect wages are level of training, experience and certifications earned.
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding - Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting / Medical Assisting Specialist
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist Diploma
- And more...
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Health Information Management, Billing and Coding - Diploma
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Veterinary Assisting
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
More Medical Assisting/Assistant Training Schools in Alabama
|Fortis College||100 London ParkwaySuite 150|
Birmingham, AL 35211
|South University||5355 Vaughn Rd, |
Montgomery, AL 36116
|Trenholm State||1225 Air Base Blvd |
Montgomery, Alabama 36108
|Wallace Community College||1141 Wallace Drive|
Dothan, AL 36303
|Wallace State Community College||801 Main Street NW|
Hanceville AL, 35077-2000
|Northwest Shoals Community College||Muscle Shoals, Alabama||http://www.nwscc.edu/|