More than 7,500 medical aide work in the San Diego area, and with several million people newly insured throughout the country, the need for medical aides is rapidly growing. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the profession to expand another 29 percent by 2022, a much faster rate of growth than other occupations. Becoming a medical helper can be a rewarding experience with a little research into credible programs, a basic understanding of the certification process and knowledge of what to expect from the career.
Prospective medical attendant students in San Diego are fortunate to have access to a number of medical attendant programs that are certified by the American Medical Technologists, or AMT, and the California Certifying Board of Medical Assistants, or CCBMA. The local community college’s medical assisting program also benefits from a new Medical Attendant Model Curriculum and recommendations of a Medical Assisting Advisory Committee that is comprised of professionals from private clinic, local health care providers and the San Diego County Medical Society.
Medical Attendant Training Program in San Diego
Most medical aide programs provide entry-level education in one year or less. In selecting a local school, it’s best to look for a program that qualifies graduates to sit for the AMT’s Registered Medical Attendant or the CCBMA’s California Medical Attendant exams.
Salaries for Certified and Registered Medical Attendants in San Diego
In addition to the satisfaction of helping physicians and nurses care for patients, medical aides in San Diego enjoy positive monetary rewards, earning higher salaries than in other parts of the state and nation. Local medical helpers can expect to earn about $16.33 and hour, or $33,970 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2012 report. That compares favorably to the national median salary of $14.12 per hour, or $29,370 per year and California’s mean salary of $33,750.
List of Medical Attendant Programs in San Diego
Several schools in the area offer certified medical aide programs, from well-respected community colleges to private vocational institutions. The local community college, San Diego Mesa College, offers certificates of achievement in medical attending, associate of science degrees in medical attending and transfer credits to four-year universities. Local private schools with medical attending classes include California College San Diego, Concorde Career College, Kaplan University, Career College of San Diego and CET San Diego.
List of Medical Attendant School near San Diego
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!