More than 7,500 medical aide work in the San Diego area, and with several million people newly insured throughout the country, the need for medical aides is rapidly growing. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the profession to expand another 29 percent by 2022, a much faster rate of growth than other occupations. Becoming a medical helper can be a rewarding experience with a little research into credible programs, a basic understanding of the certification process and knowledge of what to expect from the career.
Prospective medical attendant students in San Diego are fortunate to have access to a number of medical attendant programs that are certified by the American Medical Technologists, or AMT, and the California Certifying Board of Medical Assistants, or CCBMA. The local community college’s medical assisting program also benefits from a new Medical Attendant Model Curriculum and recommendations of a Medical Assisting Advisory Committee that is comprised of professionals from private clinic, local health care providers and the San Diego County Medical Society.
Medical Attendant Training Program in San Diego
Most medical aide programs provide entry-level education in one year or less. In selecting a local school, it’s best to look for a program that qualifies graduates to sit for the AMT’s Registered Medical Attendant or the CCBMA’s California Medical Attendant exams.
Salaries for Certified and Registered Medical Attendants in San Diego
In addition to the satisfaction of helping physicians and nurses care for patients, medical aides in San Diego enjoy positive monetary rewards, earning higher salaries than in other parts of the state and nation. Local medical helpers can expect to earn about $16.33 and hour, or $33,970 a year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2012 report. That compares favorably to the national median salary of $14.12 per hour, or $29,370 per year and California’s mean salary of $33,750.
List of Medical Attendant Programs in San Diego
Several schools in the area offer certified medical aide programs, from well-respected community colleges to private vocational institutions. The local community college, San Diego Mesa College, offers certificates of achievement in medical attending, associate of science degrees in medical attending and transfer credits to four-year universities. Local private schools with medical attending classes include California College San Diego, Concorde Career College, Kaplan University, Career College of San Diego and CET San Diego.
List of Medical Attendant School near San Diego
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist