If you’ve ever been to the doctor and spent more time with an aide than with your doctor, you were probably with a medical helper. Medical helpers assist doctors with clinical procedures and also perform administrative duties in the medical office. Sound interesting? Read on to learn how you can become a medical attendant (MA).
If you’re interested in working as a medical aide in Alabama, it’s important to find an accredited medical attending school. Accreditation is important because accredited schools provide the training necessary to pass a certification exam and accreditation is usually an eligibility requirement for certification. Although the National Center for Education Statistics lists about 14 schools offering medical attending programs, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) reports there are only 4 accredited medical aide schools in Alabama. Training programs include a blended curriculum of medical and administrative classes; lectures and lab studies; and clinical internships.
How to Get Certified in Alabama
Medical deputies are not required to be certified but it’s preferred by most employers. Medical aides must pass a certification exam to become certified as a Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant. The American Association of Medical Assistants and the American Medical Technologists are two of the most common accrediting agencies for medical representatives. The National Center for Competency Testing and the National Healthcareer Association also offers certification to medical aides and various other medical professionals. Continuing education is required to maintain certification.
Salaries for Medical Attendants in Alabama
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical helpmates in Alabama earned a mean annual wage of $24,860 as of May 2012, an amount slightly less than the national average of $30,550. Wages may vary according to locations. Some of the highest earnings for medical helpmates in Alabama were in Birmingham where the MAs earned $26,950, while the lowest MA earnings of $19,260 were in the Florence/Muscle Shoals area. Other factors that may affect wages are level of training, experience and certifications earned.
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Pharmacy Technician
- Dental Assisting
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller-Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Medical Clinical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Medical Assistant Associate's Degree
- Medical Assistant Diploma
- Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Diploma
- Veterinary Assisting
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Medical Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Find Online Schools. 100% Online Accredited Courses
- Get Matched to Programs In A Few Clicks!
- Earn an Affordable Degree from Home at your own pace
- Get College info today. Its Free and Easy!
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
More Medical Assisting/Assistant Training Schools in Alabama
|Fortis College||100 London ParkwaySuite 150|
Birmingham, AL 35211
|South University||5355 Vaughn Rd, |
Montgomery, AL 36116
|Trenholm State||1225 Air Base Blvd |
Montgomery, Alabama 36108
|Wallace Community College||1141 Wallace Drive|
Dothan, AL 36303
|Wallace State Community College||801 Main Street NW|
Hanceville AL, 35077-2000
|Northwest Shoals Community College||Muscle Shoals, Alabama||http://www.nwscc.edu/|