In 2012, this state employed more than 21,000 medical aides, and many earned wages well above the national average, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. If you’d like to be part of the medical field and work in this state, continue reading to learn about this profession and the many medical attendant schools in New York.
As an aspiring medical helpmate, you’ll want to find either a CAAHEP- or ABHES-accredited medical attendant school. Medical aide training programs offer certificates, diplomas and degrees. There are several accredited programs in this area, ranging from 1 to 2-year programs. With all medical aide programs, you’re required to attend classroom lectures, complete laboratory classes and participate in internships or externships to obtain hands-on training.
How to Get Certified in New York
The state does not require their medical attendant be licensed, but you may want to obtain certification. Some employers may require it, and certification also enhances your resume. If you’re interested in a specific certification, make sure the program you choose is aimed at that particular certifying agency. The most common certification exam is through the American Association of Medical Attendants, but you can also get certified through the National Healthcareer Association, the American Medical Technologists or the National Center for Competency Testing.
Salaries for Medical Attendants in New York
The state offers various wages for medical aides. According to a 2014 Salary.com report, medical helpmates in Brooklyn, Bronx and the City earned an annual average salary of $$37,218, which is above the national average. However, in the northern part of the state, where there was less competition, the wages were below the national average, with Rochester and Buffalo medical aides earning $31,856 and $30,675, respectively.
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
- Patient Care Technician
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Clinical Medical Assistant-CERT
- Medical Office Assistant-CERT
- Practical Nurse (LPN)-CERT
- At Miller-Motte, our mission is to provide each and every student with a quality education that will prepare them to enter and succeed in their new careers.
- Not all students are able to travel to a campus, so we offer online courses and programs to fit their busy lives.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs offer a variety of Certificate of Completion and Associate of Applied Science Degree programs;like: Business, Healthcare, Legal and Protective Services and Technology
- To assist students with any educational challenge Miller-Motte offers tutoring services to all online students. Tutoring is offered on an as-needed basis, at no additional charge.
- If you work full-time, have family obligations or are interested in learning the skills needed to start a new career in the comfort of your own home, we can help you train for a new career.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs are set up to meet the needs of employers. When you complete one of our many courses or programs, you’ll have the skills needed to stand out in the job market.
- Allied Health Management - Bachelor of Science
- Medical Billing and Coding - Certificate
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding & Reimbursement Specialist
- Medical Coding & Billing
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- Certificate in Medical Insurance, Billing, and Coding
- AAS in Health Services Administration - Medical Insurance, Billing, and Coding
More Medical Assisting/Assistant Training Schools in New York
|Anthem Institute||498 7th Ave|
New York, NY 10018
|ASA College||1293 Broadway, |
New York, NY 10001
|Erie Community College||Williamsville, NY||https://www.ecc.edu/|
|Hunter Business School||3247 New York 112 #3, |
Medford, NY 11763
|Mandl School, The College of Allied Health||254 W 54th St #9, |
New York, NY 10019
|Mildred Elley||25 Broadway,|
New York, NY 10004
|New York School For Medical & Dental Assistants||33-10 Queens Boulevard, Long Island City, |
Queens, NY 11101-2327
|Niagara County Community College||Sanborn, NY||www.niagaracc.suny.edu/|
|Plaza College||118-35 Queens Boulevard, |
Forest Hills, NY 11375
|Ridley-Lowell Business & Technical Institute||116 Front St, |
Binghamton, NY 13905
|Sanford-Brown Institute||711 Stewart Ave #2, |
Garden City, NY 11530
|SBI Campus-Melville||320 S Service Rd, |
Melville, NY 11747
|Star Career Academy||125 Michael Dr, |
Syosset, NY 11791
|Suburban Tech||175 Fulton Ave|
|SUNY-Broome Community College||907 Upper Front St #1, |
Binghamton, NY 13905
|SUNY-Erie Community College||6205 Main St, |
Williamsville, NY 14221
|SUNY-Niagara County Community College||3111 Saunders Settlement Rd, |
Sanborn, NY 14132
|Swedish Institute College of Health Sciences||226 W 26th St, |
New York, NY 10001
|The College of Westchester||325 Central Avenue |
White Plains New York 10606
|Trocaire College||360 Choate Ave, |
Buffalo, NY 14220
|Wood Tobe-Coburn School||8 E 40th St, |
New York, NY 10016